Monday, February 4, 2008

Wham: Potassium for Leg Cramps

I've been pestered by leg cramps at bed time for months. They sometimes send me right out of the bed, and I have to spend ten minutes walking around the house to get rid of the problem.

Last night I tried the "banana cure" that the National Football League recommends. Because bananas are high in potassium, they are an excellent source of this mineral which has been shown to reduce or eliminate muscle cramping. I saw the big pile of bananas on the bench at the Super Bowl and the camera panned across players eating them in order to reduce their chances of having these muscle difficulties during the big match.

Sure enough, a half-banana seemed to help last night and I slept without leg cramps for the first time in weeks. While in this case I am putting up a "Wham" without supporting scientific evidence, having the support of an organization like the NFL behind the recommendation means that it is something more than anecdotal.

Dave

No comments: