Sunday, November 16, 2008

Three Weight Loss Lessons

Here are the three lessons I've learned personally about weight loss. For the first time, I've had some real success and have lost 24 pounds in the last two or three months.

1) Don't let the clock tell you when to eat. Only your stomach tells you when it is time to eat, and unless you start to listen to your stomach and not your clock, you'll always be eating "three solids" without even thinking about whether you needed to eat or not. I've found that I really don't need huge meals at Noon and 6PM, and that I am actually hungry for smaller meals around 2PM and 7:30 PM. I enjoy my breakfast and after that I will only eat when I feel hungry.

2) Eat until you are 80% full, and no more. I mentioned this on another post a few weeks ago. This is a very healthy way of eating. Listen to your stomach (once again) and eat only until you are at what you believe is the 80% mark. When you are done, the feeling of fullness will expand to 100% and you will have eaten far less food than normal.

3) Save the wine or beer for the weekend. If you enjoy a glass of beer or wine after work each night, try putting off this source of calories until weekend nights. For me, it wasn't difficult to substitute a glass of cold water during the week. But I still enjoy a glass of red wine on Friday and Saturday nights!

Dave

No comments: